Podium silverware for Davies and brace of fastest laps at Brands Hatch GP
Podium silverware for Davies and brace of fastest laps at Brands Hatch GP PDF Print E-mail

Mark Davies lined-up third on the grid for the first Ginetta GT4 Supercup race on Saturday which took place in very slippery conditions. Making a good start, the TCR driver initially followed the two cars ahead before slicing through into second and then mounting a major challenge for the lead.

Getting alongside Will Burns through Clark Curve and over the start/finish line into lap two, Davies took the lead into Paddock Hill Bend and then reeled off a couple of fastest laps as he opened a small gap at the front. On lap seven, though, Burns managed to move back ahead at Paddock and Davies remained in second to the finish – also securing fastest lap too.

In the sister TCR car, Callum Pointon faced a tall order from 12th on the grid but he produced an outstanding first lap to scythe his way through into seventh position before grabbing sixth on lap two where he stayed to the conclusion.

For round 22 later in the day, on a drier but still damp track, Davies was due to start second on the grid but he pitted at the end of the formation lap to switch to treaded wet-weather Michelins as a result of the Grand Prix loop being too wet for slick tyres.

Running a minute down on the rest of the pack after his pit-stop, the TCR driver set about trying to reel in the cars ahead and he immediately set the fastest lap of the race, a full three seconds faster than the race leader. His cause was then aided by the deployment of the Safety Car on lap four.

Davies was just 3.5 seconds adrift of the pack at the time of the re-start and rocketed from 16th into 13th place in the space of just a single lap, before gaining two more places the next time around and then taking ninth at Clearways on lap nine where he ended the race.

Pointon, meanwhile, was edged back from sixth to ninth on the first lap before working his way back into seventh place on the second tour prior to the first Safety Car. At the re-start on lap six, Pointon hustled his way through into fifth but was re-challenged into lap seven and slipped to sixth. He was then edged back to seventh on lap nine before the finish came under a second Safety Car period.

For the final race of the season, Davies lined-up eighth on the grid with Pointon 10th as a result of a three place grid penalty. The latter delivered a very strong performance, and a cracking first lap, to leap into eighth early on ahead of Davies before ultimately finishing in sixth place. Davies, who dropped to 10th on lap one, battled through into the top six but was forced to retire on lap eight.

Go Back to News Section >